‘This report reviews research on the consequences for children of having a parent with mental health issues, and the effectiveness of strategies and interventions designed to support affected families.
The review aims to address the following key questions:
- What is the evidence regarding parental mental health issues as a significant risk factor for child abuse and neglect?
- What is the impact of parental mental health issues on children’s development?
- What factors reduce or increase the likelihood of adverse consequences for children of parents with mental mealth issues?
- What factors need to be taken into account when conducting a risk assessment in the context of parental mentalhealth issues?
- What effective strategies and interventions are available that will:
- ensure the safety of children and provide support for them
- support parents with a mental illness (including well-functioning parents where one parent only has a mental illness)
- improve long-term outcomes for children?’ (Excerpt from report)