The outreach service staff visit the families’ homes or where children and young people are most comfortable to meet.
The COPMI Program offers the following:
- Individual counselling of children of parents affected by mental illness.
- Crisis planning and development of safety plans for children and their families.
- Identification of family support systems.
- Practical support for parents/caregivers if parenting with a mental illness.
- Socially supportive holiday programs for children and young people.
- Groupwork for children throughout the metropolitan area and extending into the Peel region.
- Youth development through a peer support program for young people aged 15 to 25 years (Y2Y COPMI).
Community education is provided by the COPMI Program informing community members of the impact of mental illness on children and family members. Collaborative working relationships are developed with both government and non-government agencies.