Young carers are children and young people, 25 years or under, who help to support a family member or a friend who has a mental illness, disability, drug or alcohol dependency, chronic condition, terminal illness or who is frail.
The Young Carer Program at Carers NSW was created to make a positive difference to the lives of young carers and their families.
The aims of the Young Carer Program:
- To promote the issues and needs of young carers through statewide programs
- To support referrals to local services who can assist young carers and their families
- To develop and distribute other appropriate resources
- To coordinate a variety of young carer activities in the short term
How does the program support young carers?
- Information, referral and support
- Leadership program
- Quarterly newsletter (via post)
- Monthly e-newsletter, list of activities across NSW for young carers each month
- Counselling – face to face, telephone, individual or group
- Interactive young carer website
- Community awareness and education