Helping the parent

Father looking alone, with partner and child in background

The hardest step towards getting help is recognising something's wrong.

If you can't help your loved one to acknowledge there's a problem, then encourage them to see a professional who can assess their symptoms and provide a diagnosis and treatment options.

We recommend you check out SANE Australia's resources, such as 'Something's not quite right'.

Professionals who can help

A doctor is the best person to see for non-urgent cases. Doctors can assess whether symptoms are caused by any other illness. They may then refer their patient on to a mental health practitioner trained in treating mental health conditions, or (if they have been trained themselves to know know a lot about mental illness) they can provide treatment at their clinic.

Other sources of help



Sign up to the Emerging Minds e-newsletter