- AICAFMHA. Children of parents affected by a mental illness. Scoping Project. Canberra: Australian Infant, Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health Association, 2001.
- Falkov A, ed. Crossing bridges: Training resources for working with mentally ill parents and their children. Reader for managers, practitioners and trainers. Brighton, East Sussex: Pavilion Publishing for Department of Health, U.K., 1998.
- Cowling V, ed. Children of parents with mental illness. Melbourne: The Australian Council for Educational Research, (ACER); 1999.
- Hearle J, Plant K, Jenner L, Barkla J, McGrath J. A survey of contact with offspring and assistance with child care among parents with psychotic disorder. Psychiatric Services 1999; 50: 1354-1356.
- Farrell GA, Handley C, Hanke A, Hazelton M, Josephs A. The Tasmanian Children's Project Report: The needs of children and adolescents with a parent/carer with a mental illness. Hobart: Tasmanian School of Nursing and the Department of Health and Human Services; 1999.
- Cowling VR, McGorry PD, Hay DA. Children of Parents With Psychotic Disorders. Medical Journal of Australia 1995; 163: 119-120.
- Anthony EJ, Cohler B. The Invulnerable Child. New York: Guildford Press, 1987.
- Beardslee WR, Versage EM, Gladstone TR. Children of affectively ill parents: a review of the past 10 years. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 1998; 37: 1134-41.
- Downey G, Coyne JC. Children of depressed parents: An Integrative Review. Psychological Bulletin 1990; 108: 50-76.
- Quinton D, Rutter M. Family pathology and child psychiatric disorder: A four-year prospective study. In: Nicol AR, ed. Attudinal studies in child psychology and psychiatry. Chicester: John Wiley & Sons; 1985: 91-134.
- Beck CT. Maternal depression and child behaviour problems: a meta-analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing 1999; 29: 623-9.
- Klimes-Dougan B, Free K, Ronsaville D, Stilwell, J, Welsh, C J, Radke-Yarrow, M. Suicidal ideation and attempts: A longitudinal investigation of children of depressed and well mothers. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 1999; 38: 651-659.
- Dickstein S, Seifer R, Hayden LC, Schiller, M, Sameroff, AJ, Keitner, G, Miller, I, Rasmussen, S, Matzko, M, Magee, K. Levels of family assessment: II. Impact of maternal psychopathology on family functioning. Journal of Family Psychology 1998; 12: 23-40.
- Wals M, Hillegers MHJ, Reichart CG, Ormel, J, Nolen, WA, Verhulst, FC. Prevalence of psychopathology in children of a bipolar parent. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 2001; 40: 1094-1102.
- Radke-Yarrow M, Klimes-Dougan B. Parental depression and offspring disorders: A developmental perspective. In: Goodman, Sherryl H. (Ed); Gotlib, Ian H. (Ed). (2002). Children of depressed parents: Mechanisms of risk and implications for treatment. Washington, DC, US: American sychological Association, 2002: 155-173.
- Phelan JC, Bromet EJ, Link BG. Psychiatric Illness and Family Stigma. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1998; 24: 115-126. Carers Australia. Young Carers Research Project - Final Report. Canberra: Commonwealth Department of Family and Community Services, 2001.
- Maybery, D., A. Reupert, et al. (2005). VicHealth Research Report on Children at Risk in Families affected by Parental Mental Illness. Melbourne, Victorian Health Promotion Foundation. http://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au
- Maybery, D.J, Reupert, A.E, Patrick, K et al. Prevalence of parental mental illness in Australian families. Psychiatric Bulletin, 2009, 33, 22-26.