About mental illness
It might help to read this with an adult.
Lots of people have a mental illness!
What is mental illness?
- Mental illness is like a broken leg - you can't see it.
- It is an illness that changes how someone acts, thinks and feels.
- There are lots of different kinds of mental illness.
You can read more at the Teens Section.
Mental illness can make parents act differently
- They might get angry more easily, or cry a lot. Or shut themselves in their room.
- Remember it is the illness that makes them act this way. It is not your fault.
Is it my fault?
- It is not your fault if your Mum or Dad has a mental illness.
- It is not a parent’s fault if they have a mental illness.
Lots of things can help
- Your Mum or Dad might see a special doctor for help.
- There are some medicines that can help too.
- There are things you can do to help too.
Will I get a mental illness?
- Most people with a Mum or Dad with a mental illness don’t get one themselves!
- There are some really good things you can do to stay strong and well.
Will they get better?
- People do get better from mental illness.
- Sometimes life can be different from what it was before - but your Mum or Dad can still feel better.
What if I am scared?
- Sometimes your Mum or Dad might act in a scary way.
- They might want to hurt themselves or another person.
- If you are very worried call the emergency number: 000.
If you want to talk to someone - call Kids Helpline ANY TIME on 1800 55 1800.
Some extra information: