What you need to know - A playlist of video clips for young people who have a parent with a mental illness
This playlist on YouTube features 10 different key messages for kids and teens who have a parent with a mental illness. They are designed to be fun, short clips which serve as a reminder to young people.
- You are not alone - there are other young people who have a parent with a mental illness.
- You didn't cause your parent's illness - and it's not up to you to make them better.
- Mental illness is just like a physical illness - anyone can have one!
- It's good to find out about your parent's mental illness - and it's ok to ask questions.
- It's ok to talk about how you feel. Don't push it aside.
- It's good to have someone to talk with - make sure it's someone you can trust.
- You don't have to be ashamed or embarrassed about mental illness.
- It's ok to have feelings - and to feel angry, frustrated or upset.
- It's good to take time out to do something you enjoy. It's not selfish.
- You have a right to feel safe - make a list of people you can call.
- Author: The COPMI national initiative
- Year: 2014
- Access via: Web
- Organisation: The COPMI national initiative
- Website: What you need to know - playlist