QLD, Redcliffe Caboolture - Kidz Koping Program
Contact Names: Kidz Koping Coordinator
Organisation: Kidz Koping
Other Address (PO Box, Locked Bag etc): Locked Mail Bag 4
Telephone: (07) 5316 3100
Fax: (07) 5499 3171
Kidz Koping is a therapeutic program aimed at supporting children in families affected by mental illness and/or drug/alcohol problems.
Children of parents with a mental illness and/or a drug/alcohol problem are one of the groups at highest risk of developing mental illness/substance use problems themselves. This makes them a priority group for mental health prevention activities.
Kidz Koping aims to:
- Prevent the development of mental illness/substance use problems or slow the onset of these problems in these at-risk young people.
- Reduce the impact and intensity of mental illness on individuals, families and the community.
The Kidz Koping strategy is three-fold:
- SUPPORT FOR CHILDREN to identify and strengthen protective factors, reduce individual risk factors and strengthen coping and resilience.
- SUPPORT FOR FAMILIES (parents) to identify and manage family risk factors, strengthen protective factors and help parents talk to their children about their mental illness/substance use problem.
- SUPPORT FOR COMMUNITY ORGANISATIONS to strengthen their capacity to respond to the needs of children in families with mental illness and substance use problems.
Children are supported through:
- Gaining Ground (14-17 years old) therapeutic support groups.
- Middle Earth (10-13 years old) therapeutic support groups.
- Wishing Well (7-9 years old) therapeutic support group.
- Yearly Camp in collaboration with SCKoping.
- Peer support activities and links.
Families are supported through:
- Parent support sessions.
- Referral and linkages with other organisations and support services.
Community organisations are supported through:
- Education, training, consultation and liaison.
- Strengthening partnerships and communication through networks.
- Cross-agency collaboration on relevant projects/activities.
Pre and post evaluation and additional voluntary follow-up evaluations:
- Beck Youth Inventory.
- Resiliency Scale For Children and Adolescents.
Anecdotal and quantitative evidence in aspects of KAP and SCKoping (Sunshine Coast Koping) Programs upon which part of the Kidz Koping Program is based.
The program is underpinned by the principles of Narrative Therapy (Dulwich Centre, South Australia).
Referrals are welcome throughout the year.
Local organisations interested in networking are welcome to contact Kidz Koping.